Tuesday, November 09, 2010
VA - Psych Funk 101 (1968-1975) 2009
Title Of Album: Psych Funk 101
Year Of Release: 14 Sep 2009
Label: World Psychedelic Funk
Genre: Funk, Psychedelic Rock, Ethnic
Format: Double LP
Quality: MP3 / Joint Stereo
Bitrate: VBR kbit/s / 44.1 Khz
Total Time: 72:35 min
Total Size: 110 mb
1. Husnu Ozkartal Orkestrasi - 'Su Derenin Sulari'
2. Kukumbas - 'Respect' (Produced By: Dave Bennet)
3. Mulatu Astatke feat. Belaynesh Wubante And Assegedetch Asfaw - 'Alemiye'
4. Kim Sun - 'The Man Who Must Leave'
5. Petalouda - 'What You Can Do In Your Life'
6. Mehr Pooya - 'Doe Pajereh / Ghabileh-ye Lily'
7. Staff Carpenborg And The Electric Corona - 'All Men Shall Be Brothers Of Ludwig'
8. The Group - 'The Feed-back'
9. Armando Sciascia - 'Circuito Chiuso'
10. Wadih Essafi - 'Aandak Baharia Ya Rayess'
11. Omar Khorshid - 'Rakset El Fadaa'
12. Metin H. Alatli - 'Mevlana Boyle Dede'
13. George Garanian With The Melodiya Jazz Ensemble - 'The Big Search'
14. Eskaton - 'Dagon'
- Clique Aqui:
Psych-Funk 101 (1968-1975) is the debut release from World Psychedelic Funk Classics and presents itself as 'a global psychedelic funk curriculum', complete with a 'course description' and 'supplemental listening' in its copious notes (found either on the handsome gatefold sleeve of the vinyl or the 36-page booklet of the CD). The title may be a little misleading since some tracks contain funk and some contain psych with a geniune melding of the two not always apparent, but nonetheless this is chock full of amazing and eye-opening stuff. The only names I was previously familiar with were Ethiopian jazz legend Mulatu Astatke (who doesn't quite reach his usual heights here) and French Zeuhl dudes Eskaton (who do) but I'll certainly be investigating the others further, particularly Turkey's Husnu Ozkartal Oskestrasi and Italy's Armando Sciassia whose bassy grooves pretty much blew me away. Hopefully there are many more of these to come..