Monday, December 06, 2010
Indigo Jam Unit & Flexlife - Vintage Black (2009)
01. Love love love (Donny Hathaway)
02. I believe in miracles (Jackson Sisters)
03. My cherie amour (Stevie Wonder)
04. Never can say goodbye (The Jackson Five)
05. The makings of you (Curtis Mayfield)
06. Lady day & John Coltrane (Gil Scott-Heron)
07. It's a shame (The Spinners)
- Clique Aqui:
Vintage Black is the second of three releases in successive months from Indigo Jam Unit. December 2008 saw the release of the superb Pirates, and this album sees them embarking on a slightly different project, working with label mates Flexlife - an acoustic soul duo consisting of Rie Aoqi on vocals and Ken Okura on guitar.
Given the success that Indigo Jam Unit have had, imagine that this album is intended to show a different side to their music and also raise the profile of Flexlife. For this collaboration, the musicians decide to cover some classic soul songs from the sixties and seventies, and given that they have dipped into the songbooks of Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson Five, Gil Scott-Heron and Curtis Mayfield, you could say that they have set themselves up for a fall. It's almost as if someone has raided their collection of Free Soul compilations and selected their favourite songs.